Skip to main content

In a Sky Full of Stars

 September 2022

We started the month off strong by going camping with friends near Point Reyes for Labor Day weekend. The weather back home was crazy hot, so it was super lucky that we had this trip planned. Plus, camping is the perfect all-day playdate. We lounged, ate, went to the beach, went hiking, rode bikes, played football and tag, roasted s'mores, and chatted. I think it's fair to say we all had a super fun time playing and exploring, and the campground was awesome. I'm so glad we went!









A friend caught this funny moment of me going down the slide upside-down with all my friends and I found it so thoughtful of her to catch the moment and send it to me. I think of myself as a pretty fun mom, but there generally aren't a lot of pictures of me playing with my kids because there aren't any outside observers. 


Adaline is in fourth grade now and had her first big school project. It was 6 different projects about South Dakota and then a 5ish minute presentation on her work and what she had learned. She did the vast majority of it on her own-which I was proud of both of us for. Her first project was making a model of Mount Rushmore. It was soo hard for me to sit back and let her do it the way she wanted to, but I think she learned a lot in the process and got to feel proud of her work, knowing that she did it on her own. 





It really doesn't look like there are a lot of kids here to me, but that's 7 kids all playing happily in one tiny living room

For activity days, we made bows and arrows. The highlight of the activity for me was finding out what a good shot Liz is- she is hiding all kinds of talents. Once Adaline had a bow and arrow, clearly all of my kids wanted one, so they joined in the next. My kids spent a few days practicing and getting pretty good, which I was impressed by considering how poor the arrows were. 



Andrew and I sat down to plan on Sunday and noticed his Friday off was coming up at the end of the week. Even with the kids back in school, we wanted to try and do something a little out of the ordinary. I found a hiking spot not too far away that we hadn't tried out yet and we planned to explore the nearby grocery store for "exoctic" fruits on the way back home. The hike was SO fun! The kids all brought their bows (nerf dart arrows, so no real danger there) and there were a ton of fun rock to climb. Everyone was having a blast, and it was actually Andrew and I who had to say when it was time to turn around and head back. 














At the grocery store, we got a coconut, kumquats, honeycomb, dragon fruit, pepino melon, kiwano melon, and maybe a couple others that I'm forgetting. So, not all that exotic, but I loved that the kids were excited to try some foods that were new to them. We had a picnic style dinner while we tried the different fruits, and it was just a lot of fun. 

Andrew ran his second ever 10K and first trail run and totally kicked it out of the park! He took what he learned from the last one, braved the heat, and honestly did so well! He walked away first in his age group and 7th overall, and with a huge smile.





Playing after school

The second of the 6 projects for Adaline's SD assignment

haha so casual. even when sleeping.


Comments